I’m sharing notes taken from Michelle Phan’s intimate mentoring session on Periscope and hope these tips can help with your beauty channel and for beauty content creators. My mind was totally blown away being on a mentorship call with Michelle Phan! I am still amazed.
Just in case, if you don’t know Michelle Phan, you can read more on her about page.
Back in July 2015, I heard that there was a platform for beauty content creators that Michelle Phan was opening up called ipsyos.com. At the time, I only had a couple hundred subscribers but thought what the heck, I’ll apply. I assumed that it was for beauty content creators that had tons of subscribers or followers. I figured if they don’t accept me at least I tried.
I’m really glad that I took action regardless of my assumption. Later, I found out that it wasn’t about numbers of subscribers to your channel but how much engagement you have in your YouTube and Instagram. Three weeks later, I find myself on a group mentoring call with Michelle Phan! Say what?! Yes, I was accepted!
Quick run down about Ipsy OS and the benefits of joining. You get group mentorship and sometimes 1 on 1 mentoring, networking events, being able to shoot at Ipsy Open Studios in Santa Monica and being part of an amazing community of beauty content creators and other perks! I’ll be sharing more in-depth on Ipsy OS on another post.
Here are my notes on the first mentoring session on Periscope with Michelle Phan’s tips for beauty content creators.
Q: Is it a good idea to do sub for sub?
A: Not recommended to sub for sub. Only sub to people you truly like. They also don’t have to be only in beauty, it can be anyone you like and niche. Don’t fill up your feed with all the videos that are just sub for subs.
Q: How do I take full advantage of IpsyOS?
A: Show up to all the networking events. Shoot in the studio as much as you can. Make sure to talk to the brands to be able to get collaboration or a deal out of the connection.
Q: How do you make editing more appealing?
A: Make smaller videos then experiment with new styles. Bring your creativity out to life with your videos.
Q: Strategy for content creation?
A: Maintain a 3 month of content strategy lined up but be flexible to change things around to be able to stay on trend as well.
I had stopped writing down the questions because they were going too fast and just wanted to take down her answers.
Some of the questions I remember were: How do you get so much done? Is it a good idea to do Facebook ads to build a following? How do you stand out in the crowd of beauty content creators? How do you get involved with Icon Network?
Here are more notes on what Michelle had to share with us.
- Focus on things your audience wants. Ask them, what videos do you want me to create? When your audience contributes to the content they feel more connected to you.
- Get organized in a Google calendar (schedule yourself) Get notification on your phone about things you have to do.
- Do something different. Stop doing tags, don’t pay attention to what other people are doing. Do original stuff.
- Use all other platforms. Don’t focus only on YouTube.
- Facebook is for an older demographic but don’t put your eggs in one basket.
- Repurpose your content for different platforms. Ex: use clips of your YouTube videos for Instagram or Snapchat
- Find out who you are talking to. Who’s your audience? What is the most effective way to reach that person.
- Focus on what your strengths are and what you are good at.
- Don’t pay attention to what others are doing.
- Change and evolve for your audience. You can start with beauty but evolve into some other things and get broader.
- Don’t run ads on Facebook, it’s a waste of money. Post on twitter and everywhere else.
- Tailor your hashtags to people who want to look at your stuff. What is your audience watching?
- Focus on making your content good and strong.
- Don’t worry about subscription base and number. Connect with people. Staying engaged with your audience.
- Brands want to see your engagement.
- To get to on Icon Network, hashtag them with the content you’d want them to see.
- Hashtag brands when you use their products or even when you don’t use their products, show them what you can do with your YouTube videos or Instagram.
The mentoring seeing was absolutely mind blowing. Never in a million years would I thought I would have time to spend with Michelle and have an opportunity to be mentored by her.
I want to wrap this all up just by saying, start now on your channel and sign up for ipsyos.com because it is a community that really cares about your growth. Work hard and be consistent at what you’re building.
I hope there are some takeaways that you found useful and start to put into action.
What was your takeaway from these notes? Let me know down below!
RELATED VIDEO TOPIC: Backdrops For YouTube Videos and Where to Get Them
P.S. We have a private Facebook group where we love to chat, collaborate and learn from each other! Click here to join!